Monday, July 16, 2007

Les Cousins Dangereux

Les Cousins Dangereux indeed, but not quite with the same complexity involved in AD. Travis and Jamie Williamson came up to Davis on July 6th. Lucky for them, the weather had cooled to only around 100 degrees F. I decided that the best way to get them acclimated was to walk them around Davis and the Arboretum. So that's what we did. Then I remembered that I needed them to have energy for our Friday Night-Ultimate game so we went back to my apt and chilled in the A/C.

Now Travy was totally awesome at Night-Frisbee. Actually, both Travis and Keith came out and played Ultimate for their first time ever and it was at night! We had 14 players out on a pretty mild night and we had cheerleaders. Jamie and her friends came out to cheer us. Apparently to Jamie, flip flops count as "athletic wear" since those were the only shoes she brought for frisbee. Oh how wonderful it would be to spend all my time in either San Diego, Hawaii, or the Australian Coast so that flip flops would be my athletic wear too... Jamie is a lucky duck.

After frisbee, several folk came over to my apt and partied till the crack of dawn. Good times were had, and somehow Travy slept through it.

The next day, Travy and I went to the Farmer's Market and got breakfast. Then we took Chris and Keith to go skydiving near Lodi. Chris's blog talks more about that. Afterwards, we met up with Jamie and some more friends at Pyramid Brewery in Sac.

On Sunday, Travis, Jamie and I went San Francisco. It was their first time there, but we only had a few hours before we were due to see Mindy and her family in Napa. So we went to Pier 39...

And Ghiradelli Square where we ate the Ghiradelli monster called "The Earthquake." The Earthquake is 8 scoops of ice cream, bananas, whip cream, a cherry, and as many toppings as you want. It was a little much for Jamie and I, but Travy seemed to handle it without a problem.
Then we made some friends. Jamie and I met this nice man.

And here's where I shared a moment with perhaps the most obstinate man I've ever met. He was, however, well grounded in his foundations. Maybe that's why I was attracted to him. Or maybe it's the hat.
Then we saw this pair of officers dancing in the street. If you can't tell, it's one guy with his head down using his legs and arms for the legs of the officers.

And then Jamie met her love that lasted beyond death.

And Travy made a friend too!
Yes, SF was a brief trip, but we had to make our way to Napa to see Mindy Wyman and her family! Here's our crazy photo.
Back row (left to right): Travis, John, Dustin (the cowboy), Mindy, Jamie, me.\
Front row: Simba, Grayson

We had an amazing time! John cooked up the perfect dinner and I wish I had taken photos of it. There was heirloom tomato caprese and fruit salad and bread and meat and there was no better company to be found anywhere. The Wymans are a hoot and a half. It had been over 10 years since I had seen Mindy, who used to live with Travis and Jamie's family. Mindy also gave me my first snake, Lucy the Ball Python.

Dustin and Grayson are adorable, super well behaved kids, with awesome personalities.


Grayson ended up wearing Jamie out, but we tired this little cowboy all the way out!
On Monday, I felt wretched for driving so much so I made Travy and Jamie rent bicycles. I think they liked it. We rode around Davis and went to the Summer Music Concert on the Quad and listened to Carolyn Wonderland and had a picnic. After the concert we walked downtown and got some gelato.

Tuesday, we returned the bikes and went bowling at the MU.
Later that evening, Bryan made us dinner! Chicken stuffed with ricotta - it was DELICIOUS. Here's Bryan with his masterpiece: The rest of Travy and Jamie's trip was filled with movies, Arrested Development, video games, and top secret plans to start a band. Travy would play all the instruments while Jamie and I danced around. I think it's a good plan.

And Wednesday, they finally went home. :)

No comments: