Tuesday, September 23, 2008

If we don't, who will?

We watched a documentary today on James Natchwey, the most respected war photographer. Besides being one of the best photographers in all of history, he also has deep, affecting words. I recommend you look up some of his quotes and photographs. One of the quotes that particularly got me this evening was these:

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We're required to do what we can about it. If we don't, who will?

And it seems to me to be so easy to look away and not let us be affected by the injustices surrounding us. It's far less work to be apathetic and focus attention on celebrities and style and TV shows instead of our neighbors. And it's amazing to me that James Natchwey can continue being surrounded by horrors and injustice and disgusting, disturbing events with the hope that he carries - that he is making a difference. That one day good will prevail over evil. That one day violence and extreme poverty and war will end. Is it too much to hope for?

My opinion is that it is not too much to hope for and I pray that I will never be unaffected by injustice in the world. But no, I do not wish to be a war photographer, so don't worry about that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that was really powerful. You are amazing and we are so proud of you. I am inspired. I loved getting to hear your voice yesterday. Keeping you in my prayers.
Love, Auntie
PS Guess what? We're getting our Explorer back. Crazy, huh? We're going to use it as the beach-mobile(*-*)

Bryn said...

You had an explorer? Cool man! I'll post more photos today.